I have to admit something… I’m kind of torn on this project. I love the way it turned out, but looking back at the pictures, I kind of miss the classic school room look! I might just have to go scour my local antiques shops for a new vintage globe!
Part of that might stem from the complete nightmare this project evolved into. This was not my first attempt – there are several coats of paint under that chalkboard finish that looked SO TERRIBLE and took SO LONG I almost chucked the whole thing in the trash several times. Thankfully I persisted, and really do like the finished product.
I used this chalkboard paint, which I found at Hobby Lobby. It covered really easily, taking only 2 coats, so I have lots left over for other projects. One thing I did notice was that the paint STINKS. If possible, try to use it in a well ventilated space, or risk one heck of a headache. I used a large sponge brush, and each coat took me no more than 10 minutes. I let the paint cure for 24 hours before writing on it.
Leave a Comment so far
Leave a comment